Something sweet, with holiday spice and everything nice.... that has the holidays written all over it.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped peeled Braeburn apple
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (flour through nutmeg), stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition. Stir in the apple and brandy, if desired. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe from: Health.com